Monday, September 16, 2013

Changes and Double digits - Living with Spinal Muscular Atrophy



Where do I begin? This has been one of the best summers for Elizabeth. She has turned into a little lady.
For me? Hmm I would say" I do not think I have worried so much in my life ." It is amazing how much you can learn to live with out  things and adjust. Humans are an adaptable species, I guess.  Its been financially, the worst time in my whole life.  I can NOT focus on our issues in this update because, looking at Lizzy and how great she is doing, you have to give the man upstairs so much credit for making this little girl being the best she has ever been !  She keeps me sane I guess. She makes me smile. She is why I get up each morning. She makes me fight for her!  The stuff she says these days would make you laugh so hard. We shop at second hand stores a lot together. She says to me just a few weeks ago," Are you serious Nina? I would NOT ever wear that" and "That is just ridiculous!"
We have walked almost every night. Few exceptions here and there because, of heat, rain or I can NOT get Christen to go with us.I do not  like going alone with Lizzy because when we take the Wrigley. He can sometimes be ummm ...he can be a bit of a "stinker" . He barks at everyone and scares people half to death because of his size. He is just 9 months old but the size of a Shetland pony!!
We just had a trip to Madison last week. I think Lizzy shocks them on how well she is doing. I say it again. "Donor Breast milk and the supplements  helps her so much" The spinal fusion was a huge factor in getting Lizzy to be able to do so much too. She is in her power chair 8-10 hours a day. She has gained 4 lbs and 8.5 ounces since February. DR. H just glowed when he saw Lizzy. He is so great!! he said "She looks so much like a little lady". He only wants to see her once a year now!

Jerika Bolen was also in Madison. She was getting spinal fusion done like Lizzy did in November but, Jerika had other issues too. She had  gotten her growth rods out and some other things done also. Lizzy was very worried about her so we spent most of our trip with her after Lizzy's muscle clinic visit and before we left.

Lizzy will be double digits in a few weeks!! She is going to be TEN years old!!! It does not seem like it at all. Life just flies right by these days I guess! This year will be different. Her dad will NOT be around. He always got her anything she asked for at birthday and Christmas. He has chosen not to be in Lizzy's life anymore. Its sad but, he had issues dealing with her disease any way. He has not been around a whole lot the past few years except for holidays and birthdays. Lizzy is doing really well with the changes though. He has not seen her since January. Her anxiety is so much less and she totally is okay with him not being around. Wow, amazing how kids adjust so well. Thank you  lord above.

Lizzy and I have been working on school work almost daily. She is learning so much! I started teaching her about History too recently. The History of our county.  Christen taught her some stuff over the weekend.She is like a sponge. She was supposed to start school  but.. has not happened yet. Maybe tomorrow.  I have been teaching her myself .  I think we are falling in the cracks again. Lizzy's IEP did not go in a way we hoped. IL requires a minimum of 5 hours a week home bound instruction. KEY WORD "MINIMUM" So, the school says they will only give her that many hours. I have some resources from IL State Board of Education updated Jan 2013 that will come in very handy. I thought things were going to go smooth for us this year but,actually they are doing her an injustice. She needs a good education. So,if they are not willing to provide her one then, we will send her to a special needs school and the district will have to pay for it.  We shall see after the testing she is supposed to get soon. Lizzy needs asst tech things to help her do what she needs to do and the school is not willing to help from what we understand. We have a My Tobi eye gaze system that was given to Lizzy and the school  is unwilling to help update it for her because, they want her to be verbal. Well, the eye gaze is also for accessibility. They  just do no get it!!  Lizzy can only use her computer laying down. She can use her Ipad sitting up and does a great job but... many of her programs are online on her computer. We just have no one in our area that understands her needs for assistive tech. I feel a few challenges coming on in the near future for us. I am up for it(cracking my knuckles LOL) . Lizzy needs what she needs, plain and simple. She is NOT  mentally challenged. She just needs some help getting what she needs. Grrr Why is this so hard?

Lizzy was left this beautiful porcelain doll from her Great Grandma who went to heaven in February, this year. She loved Lizzy and was so proud of her. She was a very great lady. I know she watches over Lizzy. Her Grandpa Aaron and Grandma Sue brought it to Lizzy. They are very nice people.


We got a new BM donor for Lizzy. We got almost 1200 ounces in donor milk yesterday!! AWESOME!!. Thank you Haley!!

Prayers for my grandson Corbyn .He still has a virus he caught a few weeks ago. Poor  little guy!!
Many prayers for MJ and prayers for Jerika !!
Extra prayers for Paul. To get his sugar under control and to win his SSI case. He has been unable to work since his accident July 4,2011. It would make our life just a bit more easier.

"We believe in miracles because, we live with one"
www.our-sma-angels.com/elizabeth








No comments: