Sunday, August 23, 2009

Feeling old and proud ( Spinal Muscular Atrophy)


This week-end has been quiet. Not much going on here except later today my oldest grand-son's 18th birthday party is around 6pm . I was 33 years old when he was born and it seems like yesterday he was born. To see him now it feels like a dream. Where has the time gone? I seem I turned around and he was a young man. He lived with us for the first 4 years of his life. He was the boy I never had. Christen and Jess say he is like a brother to them and was raised with them. His "sperm donor" (Biological Father) never had much to do with him and its sad. He is a great kid and turned out pretty well. We always made sure he had what he needed growing up. I am very proud of him. He is going into Criminal Justice when he finishes school this year. Go figure. That was my major in college. He has not got into any trouble except speeding tickets. The song by Alice Cooper come to mind " Eight-teen" . I remember singing that when I was 15 and 16 wishing I was 18. I think I wanted to get old too fast and never let myself be a kid. I was married at 16. Shocking isn't it? I also got my GED and went to college when my kids were young. I did it though. It was something I needed to do for myself.

I had Robbie(12) and Rachael (13) here yesterday. Talk about attitudes.... Did I act like that when I was that age? Well... Mom says I was worse. I have always had an opinion and if that is a attitude then yep I guess I did.
Lizzy watched the New Hannah Montana movie 5 times yesterday. She looooooooved it. I have to admit it was pretty good. Then today she has been watching High school Musical 1&2. She loves those movies also.

Its been a very good summer in general. Lizzy has been healthy , is getting older and she also has opinions. Its been strange having my husband around. He has aged so much this year. I guess its all the worrying about losing his job and not being able to get one. I looked at him really heard recently and I could not believe how old he is looking. I am sure I am also. We both seem to have many aches, pains and no patience. Its been great to have him home helping with Lizzy. But.... it would be nice to be able to watch TV again. He is attached to the remote.

I am getting ready to start Lizzy on home schooling next week. She wants to learn so much. It will be great to be able to do this at home. She is fun to teach.
Now getting all her other things she needs like PT/OT Swim therapy I will be working on this week. Some way some how I will get this done.
A bit over 5 years ago I was worried about how to keep Lizzy alive and now Its I worrying about getting her home school etc. How life changes. I dont know how I got here but I thank God I am here instead of then. I thank God for all my friends I have met on this journey.

Happy birthday Charlie!!! We love you!!

Prayers to all those that need them!!

"We Believe in miracles because we live with one."

www.our-sma-angels.com/elizabeth

5 comments:

Barb said...

Jeanna,
We'll never be truly old; we have our special kids to keep us young!

Lizzy's Nina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lizzy's Nina said...

Yep, Barb you are right. I do not feel as old as I am. Lizzy's keeps me on my toes and young at heart.
:) Nice to finally meet ya!!

Kimberley said...

What Jeanna...you..OLD...NEVER!!!!
:oD Lizzy will keep your mind and body active and your heart alive and filled with joy!! (Although she may cause a few gray hairs from time to time...hehehe)

Love Ya, KIM

Lizzy's Nina said...

Thanks Kim :)