Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Update, Graduation and Upcoming June adventure - Living with Spinal Muscular Atrophy




                                                                

Lizzy is not happy in Pic#2 s . She did not want her picture taken.
I have been trying to write this since Last week.   Its been busy around here. Lizzy is getting over a sinus infection.  She actually told me she had one. She is doing okay. Sassy as ever!! Corbyn is here every week for a day or two and Boy is he BUSY!!! Reminds me of Reed Michael at that age!!


Reed Michael graduated last Friday night....
 ( Taking a deep breath and thinking where did the last 18 years go?). He was my boy I never had . He is the grand child that started calling me "Nina" . I was 33 and a grandmother. Yeah.... 33 !!  We helped raised him. His Mom Dana was 15 years old when she give birth to him. The day we found out she was pregnant I gave her two options . She would  raise baby with my help until she was able to do it on her own or her Dad and I raise the baby. No abortion ,no adoption. Plain and simple.  This baby was blood and he was staying with us.  No matter what his "sperm donor" wanted or his parents.  These were the only choices that were offered my daughter by her father and I . After all Dana was only 15.  She also does not believe in abortion.
 He was a great kid. He was raised with my other kids.  Dawn, Christen and Jess say  he is like their little brother.   We all  made sure he was always taken care of.
Dana got her GED, worked at Wal-mart at age 16 and continues to work there and is in training for Assistant Manager . She did a good job with him.
Reed will be going into the National Guard in June. I miss my boy. I have not seen much of him since he turned into a teenager. Good luck to my boy you are my heart just like my other grand kids.



Rachael graduates from 8th grade tomorrow. Watch out world Rachael will be in high school. Four more year and she will be leaving also *sigh* where does the time go. This is a old pic of Rachael. She never sits still long enough to get her pic taken.

Less than a month we will be on the road to CA. I guess its just Christen. Lizzy and I this time as Jessica has backed out because she says she will be going to school. She was laid off last month. Rachael may go but her Dad is the person with the final say I guess. She will keep Lizzy occupied and the experience would be good for her but.... the question is. Will it be okay for my sanity?  We shall see won't we?

Elizabeth has been doing well on the Organic India Turmeric. It is so amazing how well it has done on the Lizzy's contractures behind her knees. Lizzy is only on 1 cap 350mg a day in her food mixture. No side effects what so ever.

Elizabeth's New bipap/Vent is waiting for NEW prior approval.  Our DME here denied it after it was approved  by insurance. So, we have a new DME working on it.

Elizabeth is quite excited about the upcoming calendar of summer events we are having. The trip to CA. She loves to travel. She will get to see Molly and Andy our dear friends. Spend time with her friends and meet some new ones. She is super excited about Rachael maybe going.
DR Wang will be PUBLISHED!! We love seeing friends at the conference.

She needs a new seat in her power chair. She has had a HUGE growth spurt and It seems not to fit her anymore. The Koala is a great little chair but the seat its too small for her. Not sure what to do about this one. I have contacted the vendors we have for her chair so we shall see.  I do not think we could get insurance to approve a new seat or chair. I have to do some research on this one.

Many prayers to Gaynor Family. Catherine's grandfather passed.
Many prayers to MJ and all the sick kiddos out there.
Prayers for us please on our upcoming road trip to CA!!

Thank you for every one that has been a part of our lives!!

If we ALL work together we can help save so many kids!!!

"We believe in miracles because we live with one!"

www.our- sma-angels.com/elizabeth
http://www.refresheverything.com/sophiascure Please Vote!!!
I was send this info below and thought I would share this. Very interesting!!

You may have seen that the government recently released its annual report on the quality of health care Americans receive. While there have been some improvements, the news was not positive:  hospitals still have work to do to put an end to the ongoing, but very solvable, problem of patients acquiring life-threatening infections in hospitals.

Patients, their caregivers, and health care professionals need to educate themselves on the dangers and what can be done to protect people from getting sick while in the very place they went in order to get well.

To help achieve that, Kimblery-Clark Healthcare has put together a website called "Not on My Watch" at www.haiwatch.com to educate patients and health care professionals. Their goal is to eliminate these preventable illnesses and their often tragic consequences.

I hope you will help in this effort, too, by informing the readers of Lizzy's Page - Living With Spinal Muscular Atrophy about how they can learn more about protecting patients from preventable hospital infections. I've created a useful site that you're welcome to check out and grab resources from:

http://haiwatchnews.com





3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Jeanna,
Did you do the free growth kit with the Koala yet? Permobil does that, I just got the new plates for Veronica and am waiting on the seat cushion. You get one free growth kit with the chair.

Lizzy's Nina said...

Thanks Debby I will have to call about that!! Did you contact Permobil or your vendor?

Unknown said...

I contacted the vendor (he's an idiot so I have since changed!). I waited forever and got upset and told them to just send it to me. When I got it there was only the plate, no seat cushions so I contacted Permobil to ask what was to be included and he said the plates and a cushion. So I got the cushion from a differeent DME. You do have to go through a DME he said as Permobil can't legally send it but they are very helpful.