Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Taking a Deep Breath..... - Living with Spinal Muscular Atrophy Type 1

As, I wrote in my last post husband had a terrible four wheeler accident on the 4th and I have not been online too much. He broke 6 ribs, collar bone, scapula,and fractured pelvic bone. He had surgery today and a plate put in in his shoulder. He is recovering but the doc said yesterday because of all his fractures it will be 9-12 weeks before he will be able to do much after extensive physical therapy.
My positive attitude left me for about 3 days after this last bit of bad karma hit us . I had to realize things happen and I  climbed out of that hole that was sucking me down in it. I am back up and realizing how I let my stress consume all my inner thoughts and control me. Never going to happen to me again.
Another,  situation has ended up in my life with my mother. She has given up and was placed in another nursing home today. Christen saw her and she said "She has never looked so bad". I shed some tears tonight but only because I am feeling guilty and my heart hurts because I was not able to be with her. I was sick during her last hospitalization .  I had sinusitis and allergic bronchial asthma. I was a really sick.  No,way I was going to give mom this illness if it was contagious. I wore a mask at home with Lizzy. Then , Paul's accident. I hope I am not the reason she gave up. That will haunt me the rest of my life. My mom has not been easy to live with since I was 7 years old. Lots of mental illnesses. I think that is why I am so strong minded because I did not want to have my family go through the life  I went through. She has been having bad pain issues since Christmas. I do not want to lose her but she is in such great pain these days. Will she regain her strength or will she die in the nursing home? I am so torn right now. I take care of Lizzy and have been taking care of my husband its been hard to get my mom the care she needs. Am, I supposed to care for her too? Should I go get her and take her home with me? She can not be just dumped off like a stray cat in the country, I need to pray deep to find the answers I seek. I do not know what to do.
Lizzy is my light she keeps me sane. She is a sweet incredible child.
Our trips for this month are as of now cancelled. That really blows. but..... what can you do? Family has to be taken care of first.
Please keep Paul and my Mom in your prayers.
" We believe in miracles because we live with one!!"
www.our-sma-angels.com/elizabeth

3 comments:

Lizzy's Nina said...

Thanks Bob for the quote and your words.:)

Maria B. said...

One day at a time. Sometimes that's all we can do. I pray with you that things will get better soon.

Lizzy's Nina said...

Thank you Maria. Taking a deep breath and doing one day at a time. :)