Thursday, April 5, 2012

No Place like home!! Living with Spinal Muscular Atrophy Type 1


We got Lizzy home from the worst illness she has ever had on Sunday. Thinking back over how sick she makes me wonder how we went through this or actually her being so brave and fighting all the way. Lizzy "loves her life" she says .Lizzy got really sick Tuesday March 20 in the morning and plugged . It plays over and over in my head the events of that day. Bringing her down stairs while she was on bipap and getting her on the stretcher with my house full over EMTs and Firemen was the least of my worries. Soon, as we got her on the stretcher she had this look in her eyes, turned blue actually purple and was down for a few minutes. Christen and I were like two crazy woman. I grabbed the cough , with divine intervention and the help of angels I was able to get the plug up .  I got her back . "Phew"  I knew I had that divine intervention because you just knew there were presences here because you could feel them. It was like her whole face was purple before we got the plug out. I was barefooted walking down the ramp to the ambulance coughing her every step of the way to keep her air ways open. Oh My gosh......... we did it we got it up. The EMTS backed up and let me do what we had to do. It was amazing. A voice from behind said" Let them do what they have to do because I was here the last time and they know what they are doing"  Most of them we had talked to previously but..... I really never thought they would back up and not try to take over but they did.
Thank you God!! Then after we got her to the ER the nurses got me some socks. How embarrassing. Any way Lizzy was medflighted to UW.
Lizzy worked hard from Monday to Friday getting junk out every two hours. Blood pressure was high. Friday is the day I think I aged another 10 years in a matter of seconds  because of the Respiratory Therapist that was doing Elizabeth treatment on Friday. Well, the RT started getting a plug out if Lizzy and would not let Lizzy recover. I was screaming at her.. Lizzy was dropping dropping and that old Bitty would not listen. She was focusing on the junk by DEEP sectioning with out letting her recover. Lizzy was dropping to the 40s O2. I was then removed from the room and Lizzy was intubated. We know Lizzy had to be intubated but not the way she was intubated. She should of not been put through what she was put through. She got better almost immediately after the intubation but she watched the door for the three days to make sure that  RT would not come back to her room ever.  More to the story but..... not worth getting myself all upset. Not something a eight old should have been put through. Any way, the angels worked hard that day to get Lizzy through that also. I believe Lizzy has somethings to do on this earth and it is not her time to leave.
She is a very special child and she has God's work to do by helping other families.
I love her so very much it hurts my heart to know what she went through. She will not talk about it and says "she does not remember only.... it did not hurt".
She kept all the docs and nurses laughing at her with the comments she would make. Like, "Okay Nina Get my nurse to get my RT because I have a rattle right over here!!" She also was asking for salami and pickles!! She is such a hoot!!
After, she was extubated  she started talking that day and did not stop until she feel asleep that night.
Lizzy had a very quick recovery, What started out what seemed life threatening illness turned to healing and got better every day.
 I AM SO GLAD we are home.
Thank you all for the prayers!!!
She has had a great week so far!!
 "We believe in miracles because we live with one!"








No comments: