Saturday, January 2, 2010

Another year to make History ( Living with Spinal Muscular Atrophy)


Brrrrrrrr its flipping Freezing out-side!!!
Happy  New year ! Wow..... 2010.... Takes a second and a deep breath to believe we are here. When, I was a kid  in the 70s the year 2000 was like the  space age. You know we would all be in our own space ships traveling around . LOL  We all dont have space ships but There has been lots of changes since I was a kid in this world of ours. So.  many wonderful things have happened and some terrible .   I do miss the 70s and 80s.  Remember that movie series "Back to the Future" . I loved it. I wish we could go back sometimes and hit play and do it over. Life seemed easier then.  I have all the movies in Video in that series Back to the Future. Yeah...... Not that I can use them now. My Video  cassette  died about a year ago. I can not part with the videos..... I keep thinking I will find another one some where. I am a "pack rat" I guess. The first VHS player we bought was around $300.00 . You could of bought a  DVD player for $25.00 they day after Thanksgiving. Now, they have Blue Ray...  DVD players will be something of the past here soon. 
Will they find a treatment that will make Elizabeth's quality of life better in 2010? Will they find a cure? If they find a cure will it help the kids that are older? Hmmmm so many questions we hold trapped in our brains. I just do what I do every day to give Lizzy the best quality life I can. These days her and I have been very busy entertaining each other. Her little mind is so sharp and NOTHING gets by here.

Elizabeth had the best Christmas ever. She got everything she wanted and more.  I got some nice things. I personalized pan with my name engraved on it. (I love it), a cook book , a beautiful shelf (for my recycled bathroom. Ooops meant redone,_  a beautiful bracelet, a willow tree Angel( I have collected angels for many years), a few surprises (  a  little Cash  totally unexpected) and lots of  great family time. I did not take a lot of pictures because Elizabeth's Dad was here when Elizabeth opened some her gifts Christmas day (at the crack of Dawn mind you. ) and took a lot of her presents upstairs to my and Lizzy's bed. So..... hmmmm I was not able to get my camera fast enough but did get a few hear and there. My husband and I both watched Elizabeth's face and it was something the two of us will never forget. I do not think any Christmas can compare to this one. Thank you!!

I started a diet yesterday I have 80 pounds to lose. Yes, 80. So, far I have done well but this diet stuff I have been eating has been making me( Okay I am talking like my Mom now) pass gas all day long for the past two days!! As, Lizzy would say ewwwwwww.  I did not want to share this TMI but its embassassing to say the least. LOL Good thing I do not plan on going
anywhere for awhile. I HAVE to do this for myself. I quit smoking  3+ years ago I can do this. I  quit smoking for Lizzy. No regrets nothing. Just quit. I did not smoke ever around Lizzy and always went outside to do it. It was my 10 minutes of breaking away a few times a day. Then, I could not get outside for a break anymore and  I decided that was it I was done. 
I have started diets before but not where I have decided in my mind I was going to succeed no matter what. I am going to do this no matter what. No excuses... I will do this. I need your help here to keep me on the right path to getting my health back.  Its true..... I have had to lose weight before this past 5 years and always lost it. I have never been as heavy as I am now. Steriods do that to you. I have had two bad back injuries and steroids make me BLOW up and all kinds of side effects. I have been off them awhile now.

Elizabeth has been  doing more amazing things. She was at MF release therapy this past week she was on her belly and had her head in the hole of the table and pulled her head up herself. YEEEEEEEES!!!!  That is my Lizzy. Never stops amazing me. She has been sitting up straighter again and a few other great things. 

We had a little contact in the beginning with a Mom From Rockford,IL when her daughter was first diagnosed with SMA Type 1.
I got the news this week she earned her wings. So sad.  I hate SMA !!



Mikalah Marie McCammond, 4, of Rockford, died Sunday, Dec. 27, 2009 at Rockford Memorial Hospital from complications of SMA type 1. Born Aug. 13, 2005, daughter of Terry McCammond and Heidi Bauer. Her favorite colors were orange, pink and purple. She enjoyed reading books, crafts, beads, movies and music. Everyone that met her loved her. She is survived by her Mother and Father, brother Khaled Harrell, MawMaw Lisa Bauer, Step-dad Michael Harrell, Grandpa Art McCammond, great-grandma Carol Rall, bestess friend Beth Johnson and many Aunts, Uncles and cousins and nurses Connie, Kris, Alonda, Johnette. Thanks to Doctors and nurses from Rockford Memorial Hospital and Rush University Medical Center for taking care of her.She is predeceased by her grandma Edith McCammond in 2008. Funeral service Wednesday, January 6 , 2010 at 11:00 a.m. at Fitzgerald Funeral Home, Mulford Chapel, 1860 S. Mulford Rd. Interment in New Milford Cemetery. Visitation Wednesday from 10:00 to 11:00 in the funeral home. A luncheon will be held in the New Mill Tap, and everyone is invited to please bring a dish to pass. Extend online condolences at: http://www.fitzgeraldfh.com/
 Many Prayers to her Family. Fly high Little one fly free of disease.


Many prayers to all our friends. MJ and  Stella  get better soon!! 

"We believe in miracles because we live with one"
www.our-sma-angels.com/elizabeth

No comments: