Friday, March 13, 2009

Corbyn Miles Cotter (Spinal Muscular Atrophy Type 1 )




Newest Little miracle in my life is Corbyn Miles Cotter. Born March 12, 2009 to (my daughter) Dawn, Jeff and Caitlyn Cotter. I have six beautiful grandchildren
Every birth or creation is a miracle. More so, the birth of a human being.
To witness 10 births and be a part of each birth makes you look differently at life everytime. I had four children and helped in the delivery of six grandchildren. I held Dawn's legs , Cut the cord , got the cord blood ready for the bank and called the Cord blood bank for the pick up. I do not know how I would of felt if I would not of been there. We were supposed to be in California at Stanford when Corbyn decided it was his time to be born.
I have been dealing with upper respiratory issues all week(Still very sick), Christen started throwing up on Tuesday and Dawn went home from work on Tuesday with some contractions. I was up 4am WED morning finishing packing when Christen came down stairs and was puking non stop and still complaining of a headache. I was going to Stanford any way. Her and I had words. Lizzy has to get her med and see DR.Wang. I did not care if I had a sinus infection and my chest was tight and I had trouble breathing. I was determined to get out there because DR.Wang has been a "No excuses" kind of guy since we have been out of the trial. Christen said she was not going she was too sick. So, we did not go. Elizabeth was very upset. She wanted to see Andy and Molly very badly.
Dawn called and said if she had not delivered by Wed.night they were inducing her on Thursday morning. So, I guess we were not supposed flying out.

Not sure what illness have I was but I was not comfortable going to the hospital yesterday being this sick. I had my four daughters telling me "I HAD to go". They said they can not have babies with out me. So, I went with a mask on my face. I was there for the whole thing but I have not held my grandson yet. I took many pictures but I was too afraid hold him. Today, while every one went to see Corbyn. I stayed home. Lizzy got to see him today and she was so excited. She fell asleep tonight talking about her outing at the hospital. She had athe whole floor of nurses laughing at her in her chair and with her comments Christen said.

I had a call from the Director of Rehab today. I had a hard time talking to him. My chest OMG... I could not breathe when he first called this morning. I really think I have pneumonia . It hurts to breathe and the wheezing is awlful. I have been making Christen do most of Lizzy's care as I am afraid I am contagious. I had to call him back when I was was better. Finally I called him back Matt(The director) and I had a difference of opinion about why Monica decided she had nothing more to offer Lizzy in the way of Physical Therapy services. Elizabeth NEEDS Physical therapy to keep her strong and keep her atrophy from getting worse. Why are they not getting? Its not our fault Monica can not figure out how else she can help Elizabeth. The swim therapy is doing great for her. To make a long story short I gave the phone to Christen and she also got no where with the director on the phone. We do not have access to a pool for Lizzy that is not full of germs like the hospital pool. Its just more brick walls we face.

Paul got his dentures Tuesday and he applied back for his old job with new owners, busted union,less benefits, and lower wages.

Thank you so much for all your prayers!! Keeping them coming so Lizzy does not get this what ever I have!!!!!

Two beautiful people sent us gifts this week. Thank you so very much!!!! You touched my heart.

We believe in miracles.
www.our-sma-angels.com/elizabeth

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear things are so rough on your side!! Bringing new life is a miracle and from what you have described about your family you have all the important things in place! The medical system is an emdeity of a system where rehab and medicine do not recognize each other and preventative medicine is non existent. There must be someone in your community with a pool. We recently found someone in our community that will be letting Shira and I use their pool as we are also scared to take her public swimming. Unfortunately by keeping our children alive past 2 years old confuses the medical community. Our children are labeled with a terminal genetic disorder but when we treat them with the NIV Protocol of Dr Bach they tend to live past the the "CONVENTIONAL" statistics of the disease and the medical community starts treating are children as if they now have a chronic illness. We also experience negligence, conventional wisdom, and plain stupidity on a regular basis from all of our care providers and it hurts every time we here the same thing from another family because we thing we are actually educating the medical community. I have learned that most people are really only concerned with their own needs even when their jobs are caring for others! I'm sorry you have to deal with so much red tape, neglect and abuse from the medical system. Know we are thinking of you and your family!!!